Meeting opened by pleia2 at 20:00
<pleia2> who all is here for the meeting?
<pleia2> we'll give folks a couple minutes to drop in before starting
<pleia2> ok, so the first thing on the agenda is a quick review of our blueprint items
<pleia2> [TOPIC] Oneiric Blueprint progress
Oneiric Blueprint progress
<pleia2> akgraner, nigelb, any mentoring updates?
Cheri703 is here
<pleia2> ok, sounds like neither of them are around
<pleia2> I believe hypatia's items are blocked by that, so we'll skip those for now
<pleia2> wiki status... we're almost done
<pleia2> I just need to follow through with the last few bugs and we'll be good to go
pleia2 hopes to finish this weekend
<Tubu> : o)
<pleia2> any questions, comments, etc on blueprint items?
<pleia2> hi there Tubu!
<pleia2> [TOPIC] Career Days
<Tubu> hi all!
<pleia2> Cheri703: the floor is yours
<Cheri703> Well, we have a basic page up, so people can sign up to participate
<pleia2> do we want to shoot for 1 per month, maybe get the first scheduled?
<hypatia> whoa awesome
<Cheri703> We are still discussing exactly how/when to do this, the basic idea is IRC session with Q&A > blog post > maybe saved to wki?
hypatia will totally do someting about security
<Cheri703> that'd work for me, I think it's just a matter of how quickly we can get volunteers and they can be ready
<pleia2> hypatia: yay!
<Cheri703> I think that if possible it'd be good to do it in u-classroom, just because unfortunately, I think if we publicize this at all, there is a HIGH probability for idiot hecklers
<Cheri703> and if it was in classroom, at least that crap would get contained to classroom-chat
<Cheri703> whereas if we did it here, they could just be annoying to their hearts' content unless settings were changed
<jledbetter> Most of us are (forunately? unfortunately?) good at dealing with them
<Cheri703> well, but it interrupts the logs
<pleia2> I like having our things benefiting the whole community anyway, so I +1 using #u-classroom
<Cheri703> if it is in the room that the teaching is going on in
<jledbetter> +1 u-classroom too
<hypatia> classroom is usually muted and just the speaker is +v right?
<pleia2> my only concern about this is the "fear of stupid questions" thing, so I think we want to make clear every step of the way that the participant is available privately for questions too (preferably *after* the session
<pleia2> so participants will have to be willing to accept questions via email or PM
<akgraner> sorry I'm late
<Cheri703> I think also if anyone knows non-ubuntu specific women who might be willing to participate, that'd be awesome too
<jledbetter> Well, as long as it doesn't become a bunch of emails/PMs?
<pleia2> but I don't think that'll be a problem
<pleia2> Cheri703: agreed
<pleia2> jledbetter: I don't antipate "a bunch" maybe a couple
<Cheri703> pleia2: is there any way in u-classroom to have anonymous questions?
<pleia2> Cheri703: nope
<jledbetter> Ah ok. Cause I get emails from random men already for "mentoring"
<Cheri703> or could we have someone set up as "question taker" that could get pm'd and post questions anonymously during session?
<jledbetter> Cheri703: Why anonymous?
<Cheri703> also is there a u-w generic email?
<Cheri703> well, for the "fear of stupid questions" thing
<hypatia> just the mailing list
<jledbetter> OH! That kind of stupid question. Gotcha.
<Cheri703> because if there was a generic email that could be set up, people could just email "hey, I have a question for hypatia about her session and didn't think of it til later" and then they could just get distributed, vs direct emails...
<pleia2> the only address we have for the team is the competition address
<Cheri703> though I guess if people took the effort to look at presenters' wiki pages or launchpad, they'd have their email anyway
<pleia2> (twitter and everything is tied to that)
<jledbetter> Guess we could try it being open and seeing how it goes?
<hypatia> yeah it seems better to just have folks contact the presenters if they are chill with that
<jledbetter> +1 hypatia
<Cheri703> yeah, I'm fine with that, just saying if someone was concerned
<pleia2> we'll talk with each partipiant before that to make sure it's all ok
<pleia2> we can figure something out if a participant is uncomfortable with direct communications
<Cheri703> So I think we could likely just say "first come first served" and whoever is ready to do one first can let us know, and we can schedule around them
<pleia2> sounds good
<Cheri703> vs "EVERY 3rd tuesday at noon" because that might not work
<jledbetter> This is targeted to women, right?
<pleia2> jledbetter: right
<Cheri703> yes, but I don't think the presenters necessarily have to be women...
<Cheri703> (in my opinion)
<pleia2> Cheri703: *nod*
<jledbetter> True, but hopefully showcasing as well as leading into "who could be mentors"?
<Cheri703> because it is also about (at least originally) just giving info about jobs in IT related fields
<pleia2> yeah, I think we'll prefer female participants simply because of the mentor-factor
<pleia2> but there simply aren't enough of us
<jledbetter> Cheri703: What about non-IT like design? Writing? Lots of Ubuntu-related jobs?
<jledbetter> pleia2: i know
<jledbetter> Was thinking of akgraner. She's got a wicked awesome job:)
pleia2 suspects maco gets tired of being "the go-to female motu"
MichelleQ is here and catching up.
<Cheri703> hmm...I had been thinking more along the idea of IT, but for sure I'm ok with that
<Cheri703> I think anyone who wants to share would be welcome
<Cheri703> as long as it is at least tangentially related to ubuntu type things
<pleia2> sounds good
<jledbetter> Again, thinking of mentoring areas
<Cheri703> yeah, definitely
jledbetter is obviously excited about this
<pleia2> ok, sounds like we have a plan
hypatia likes this plan
<jledbetter> Cheri703: Thank you for organizing this!
<pleia2> ok, shall we move on to our next item?
<Cheri703> so folks who want to participate, get your session planned, and let us know, and then we can figure out about scheduling
<pleia2> will do!
<pleia2> akgraner: you available for a quick mentoring update?
<pleia2> [TOPIC] Mentoring update
<pleia2> all yours!
<akgraner> First sorry for being late
<akgraner> second...I've gone through GSOC and I know nigelb has been looking at other mentoring programs as well
<akgraner> we've created a googledoc for organizing everything and I had hoped it would be ready for the meeting but it's not
<akgraner> so the goal for me is to have it in place over the weekend and email the list MOnday
<akgraner> but it looks very doable and easily tailored
<akgraner> so that's were we are (aren't) and the plan for the weekend...
<akgraner> wish it was more...
<pleia2> it's fine, we really just wanted to get the basics out this cycle and it sounds like you're on track
<pleia2> thanks akgraner
<pleia2> (and nigelb!)
<pleia2> AlanBell: you around for ada lovelace day updates?
<pleia2> [TOPIC] Ada Lovelace day ideas update
Ada Lovelace day ideas update
<AlanBell> jledbetter added a bunch of ideas to the list
<AlanBell> Ada Lovelace day is October 7th so there is a reasonable amount of time still
<pleia2> what are we thinking for timeline, announce competition on that day or announce winner?
<AlanBell> depends what we do really
<AlanBell> which could be several things
<AlanBell> there will be a general blogging effort on the day
<AlanBell> what things on the list do you like?
<pleia2> I like "Why I am an Ubuntu Woman writing/design contest?" but maybe incorporate other suggestions too (bake/knit) and have it be something like "I am an Ubuntu Woman"
<pleia2> so we get people making images, writing essays about their work, showing off cookies
MichelleQ has cookies.
<jledbetter> Yeah, not to be stereotypical, but I would love to see ubuntu baking Would be great ideas for release parties.
AlanBell is currently eating a cookie
<MichelleQ> jledbetter: coming down for UDS? I'll make you UbuCookies
jledbetter has no cookies
<pleia2> maybe some people can come up with clever "I'm an Ubuntu Woman" apps they programed too
<jledbetter> MichelleQ: Need to see how work goes
<jledbetter> pleia2: OH! Excellent....
Tubu will get some cookies... tomorrow...
<Cheri703> pleia2: that might fall along the idea of that video I'd shown you, and the "I'm a woman, and I use ubuntu" or whatever...if you recall
<pleia2> Cheri703: ah yes!
<Cheri703> though that's a larger-scale project probably
<pleia2> I can see the vancouver team making such a video
<AlanBell> so should we make it a competition/contest, or just a general effort to do awesome things?
<Cheri703> heh, yeah
<pleia2> maybe we should nudge charlene to make a submission
<MichelleQ> AlanBell: I vote general awesomeness.
<hypatia> like the "I am a technical woman" video folks did at Grace Hopper a couple years back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O293-kmyUj0
<Cheri703> this is the video I was referencing: (it is about bikes) http://amsterdamize.com/2010/07/08/this-is-amsterdam-and-this-is-my-bike/
<pleia2> I'm inclined toward general awesomeness too
<pleia2> rather than prizes
<AlanBell> I think so too
<jledbetter> Is that ok? Did competition in the past. Did that help with participation?
<AlanBell> the main reason we were trying to do a competition was because we had offers of prizes
<AlanBell> but we don't *have* to take them up
<AlanBell> and silbs was quite enthusiastic about the competition concept
jledbetter likes prizes
<Cheri703> it could be general awesomeness and then have crowd-sourced voting on who is awesomest of the awesomeness
<pleia2> I think the main problem with the proposal of "anything that is awesome" is judging would be crazy hard (and fraught with pitfalls, what if cookies win over clever programs?)
<akgraner> prizes sponsors are fun to take too
Tubu like that video!!
<akgraner> talk even
<Cheri703> like post them all on a site and let folks vote
<jledbetter> Cheri703: I dig that
<pleia2> yeah, that could work
<Cheri703> because frankly, if someone had awesome cookies, and 30 people liked those, then great! it wouldn't be like 2 people deciding on all of it
<jledbetter> Cheri703: Do we get to try the cookies? I kid.
<Cheri703> I just thought that
<jledbetter> AlanBell: And you had offers for prizes already?
<pleia2> ok, so the baked goods just need to *look* delicious
<jledbetter> lol pleia2
<AlanBell> jledbetter: kind of, yes
<Cheri703> just like in advertising
<jledbetter> AlanBell: Cool beans
<pleia2> unfortunately rikki isn't at linux pro anymore
<akgraner> no but I still am
<pleia2> oh good
<AlanBell> so, making something at least slightly ubuntu related, writing about it and we publish all the articles and vote on awesomeness
<AlanBell> with a fairly broad interpretation of "making"
<pleia2> yeah, we can toss out examples: art, cookies, robots, clever apps...
<AlanBell> that sounds like most of a plan to me
<pleia2> perhaps have it due on oct 8th and then announce all the awesome things on the 9th and toss in the poll?
<pleia2> winner is less important ada day than all the submissions I think
<hypatia> hey folks i have to jet - will read logs when i get home
<jledbetter> +1 pleia2
<jledbetter> hypatia: See you later
<pleia2> AlanBell: ok, can you put this idea into a wiki page and we'll go from there?
<pleia2> looks like our past ones were under http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Events/Competitions/BlahBlahEventName
<AlanBell> yes, lets get it all set up to be announced by the new leadership team shortly after August 22nd
<pleia2> [TOPIC] Announcements, other misc
Announcements, other misc
<pleia2> akgraner set up the poll and sent out ballots, if anyone didn't receive one but thing they should have they can contact her https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2011-August/003319.html
<pleia2> for leadership elections
<akgraner> 36 out of 268 have voted
<akgraner> only 10 email address were bad...
<akgraner> (so far)
<pleia2> thanks akgraner
<pleia2> any other announcements or anything?
<jledbetter> Sponsorship apps end soon too. And U-W Still offers some help on proofreading right?
<pleia2> ah yes
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/UDS has details
<pleia2> http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/UDS has details
<pleia2> deadline is august 24th, summit itself is oct 31-nov 4
<pleia2> ok, I think we'll wrap up then
<pleia2> thanks everyone, very productive meeting!
Meeting closed at 20:51